If you interpret it literally, you cannot prevent smiling when you see students exchange "business cards": which business do they run? I prefer the Portuguese expression cartão de visita, which can be literally translated as "visiting card" - even if you plan to do business, your intentions are hidden beyond the "visiting" purpose. This way we make sure there is always food and drinks involved.

I remembered this when I was on my way home after an intern get-together at a bar near Plainpalais. The event, inscribed in UNING (UN Intern Network of Geneva) casual Thurday drinks, was less casual than usual and I saw myself surrounded by networking professionals, mangling ideas and exchanging business cards as they were playing poker. I didn't escape, even if I tried to keep quiet with my friends in the very edge of a bench looking at the square. The conversation was nice, but it was too hot and the wine was rubbish.


 

© Duarte Correia 2007




View my stats